Old September 7th 08, 12:02 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Junius Junius is offline
Senior Member

Default CFRX - 6070

On Sep 6, 12:40*pm, dxAce wrote:

Do they even have a Navy anymore?

The Canadian Forces Maritime Command is composed of 9,000 personnel.
Deployed in two fleets: MARLANT (Halifax) and MARPAC (Esquimalt).

Surface vessels include 12 frigates, 3 destroyers, 12 coastal defense
vessels. Various auxillaries.

I do remember some years back that they'd purchased some rusty old submarines,
but that was the last I'd seen any mention of it.

Yes, you've in mind the ex-UK Royal Navy Upholder Class (now Victoria
Class) subs Canada acquired in 1998. The upgrade program for these
fell behind schedule, and currently only one is operational. Problems
with this program have resulted in much criticism of the Victoria
program.

Oh well, I suppose we'll continue to protect them, at our expense of course.- Hide quoted text -

Well, they do have a number of acquisition programs ongoing: To
enhance EEZ patrol deficiencies, for instance, there is the Arctic/
Offshore Patrol Ship program, aimed at procuring up to eight
multipurpose vessels capable of service in Canada's Arctic waters. I
believe the Statement of Operational Requirements for these vessels
has yet to be hammered out.