Old September 7th 08, 11:00 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Ian Jackson[_2_] Ian Jackson[_2_] is offline

Default Coupling a T2FD to a S350DL

In message , John Smith
writes
Bubblesdee wrote:
Hi

I recently aquired a S350DL receiver. ...

Stumbled across this on the net (article describes an rf
transformer/antenna he uses--pay attention to the direction of the
windings on the toroid):

http://www.qrp.pops.net/swl-ant.asp

and thought about your S350Dl and thought I would let you give it a read ...

Regards,
JS

This is an example of the 'traditional' 9:1 impedance transformer which,
on most MW and SW frequencies, gives a better match between the antenna
impedance and a 50 or 75 ohm receiver input impedance. On relatively
narrow bands of frequencies where the antenna impedance is naturally
lowish (where it is near odd multiples of a quarterwave), the match will
actually be made worse than if the transformer were not used. This
obviously depends on the physical length of the antenna. In the diagram,
the antenna length shown is 33m (say 100'), which is not far short of a
quarterwave on 160m. However, on the MW band, and on various parts of
the SW band, the transformer should improve reception.

I note that the writer correctly stresses that that the transformer is
an 'UNUN' (an accurate - but ugly - word). Many similar articles about -
and adverts for - these devices WILL insist on calling them baluns
(which, of course, they are certainly not).

The direction of either winding on the torroid should not matter one
bit.
--
Ian.