Old September 7th 08, 03:25 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
JoeSch JoeSch is offline

Default Quick Rooftop Antenna For Channel 2?

I apologize for making this about TV reception instead of radio, but I
did not know where to turn.

I live in Connecticut, about 100 miles from New York City, (102 miles
by the lattitude-longitude charts) and I am about a block from the
water, Long Island Sound.

I grew up in New York and am a NY Jets and Giants fan, which is
broadcast from the Empire State building. The Giants' games are
carried by one network, but the other Connecticut stations only carry
Patriots games, not the Jets.

The Jets' games are carried on channel 2 New York, which is 102 miles
as the crow flies from my house. Football packages on satellite TV
are beyond present financial condition. I only care about channel 2,
New York.

Does anyone have any ideas for a quick rooftop antenna I can put on a
pole and run into my house for the Jets game? I really don't mind if
the signal is somewhat snowy as long as I can make out what is
happening on the field-beats radio. Besides, this is football-
sometimes it snows for real and nobody complains, lol.

Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated.

PS: I have seen websites for dipole antennas. My second question
is: If I make a dipole antenna, what if I mounted it on a piece of
cardboard or styrofoam for it's length, which cardboard or styrofoam
has aluminum foil on the reverse side? The aluminum foil would not
contact the dipole, and be separated from it by one quarter to one
inch, depending on material thickness. The reason I ask is if this
will cut off 180 degrees of reception, thereby improving the signal to
noise ratio, (I know a little about electronics as an audio hobbyist,
but very little about antennas even though I have tried to get a
grasp).