Old September 7th 08, 10:32 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
[email protected] dfinn1@nc.rr.com is offline

Default Finally, some begins a real study of time ...

On Sep 7, 2:27*am, John Smith wrote:
It will be interesting to eventually find out what that strange
placeholder in our equations really stands for:

http://www.physorg.com/news139830010.html

That article was a real snoozer. As most of them are, they associate
an increase of entropy (2nd law) with an increase of randomness as
time moves "forward". Thus, a beautiful (orderly) greek temple built
in ancient times becomes a random disorderly pile of dust and rubble
millenia later. Certainly such randomness happens but the error is
that we must complete the observation until maximum condition is
observed. As if by some revelation, "scientists" (according to the
author) have found increases in time symmetry with increase in entropy
with RNA. What they have really discovered is that they do not bound
their observations into a closed system which would require
observation until maximum condition occurs. Of course, in many cases
that is not possible but certainly they should recognize that their
observations are incomplete. One example of an observation that gets
closer to a closed system in time would be Darwin, found in the
evolution of life. As cells divide, randomness (entropy) assigns a
certain probability that mutations will occur. Such mutations are
examples of assymetric time moving irreeversibly towards randomness.
However, when your expand the observation to include the entire system
of time and environment, you find that certain benign mutations are
much more suited to the environment and the life form becomes
improved. We have evolved from single cell life forms to human life,
which follows a path from a much lower level of orderliness to a much
higher level of order. Entropy (disorder) is actually what gets us
there. I suspect it is the concept of "entropy" and not "time" that
needs to be better understood.