Old September 8th 08, 03:28 PM posted to alt.ham-radio,rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Brian Morrison Brian Morrison is offline

Default The Strange True Story of a Radio Station's Transmitter in NewYork State

Jeff wrote:
"Back at about the same time the BBC had (and still has) a powerful
transmitter on 200khz (now198) a local farmer who lived close to the
station
built a large tuning coil in the loft and lit his house using fluorescent
tubes.

He was successfully prosecuted for stealing electricity or something
similar.

If this is true (and I have no reason to doubt it), did it make the
signal weaker for everybody else?

73 de G3NYY

In the version that I heard it was the null that the 'suck out' caused that
led to an investigation that resulted in the prosecution.

Now whether this is true or not is another matter.

It seems to me that a resonant structure to capture energy would
re-radiate so I can't see where such a null would come from, the
wavelength is long so the path difference between the main tx and the
re-radiator would make such a phase shift difficult to achieve.

--

Brian