Old September 9th 08, 02:17 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Art Unwin Art Unwin is offline

Default Food for thought

On Sep 8, 7:04*pm, Cecil Moore wrote:
Art Unwin wrote:
I do believe it was in the early 1800s ...

*From Wikipedia: "Some confine the Little Ice Age to
approximately the 16th century to the mid 19th century."
--
73, Cecil *http://www.w5dxp.com

I read it in either the Smithsonian or the Scientific American
and as I remember the article involved Black Holes which at the time i
likened to
the Newton reaction to the Big Bang which I apothesized the Black Hole
duplicating
the swirl of an eddy current to create balance in the Universe. Yes, I
know I am mad, or insane
but without imagination and "what if's" I would wither away. Soooooo
you will have to go to the library
and look at back copies say for four months and then you will find it.
When I say early 1800 I remember seeing
the old sailing barges on oil paintings of the same era which traveled
up river from the tidal basin where my grandfather was a customs
inspector
I was born in the docklands less than a mile from the Tower of London
so the rivers history stays with you as well as the destroyed
residence near St Georges!.
I remember waiting for the tide to go down and then pick up pieces of
thrown away clay pipes of Elisabethan
times in the hope that I would get a match. Very Very difficult to do
but I guess they only used the pipe once and then threw it away
thus many pieces. The docks were all bombed and set afire with
magnesium so it was natural to demolish them when shipping boxes
came into fashion and they moved the docks to a sea port on the East
coast. Union tickets were prized for workers as they were handed down
in the family
One Uncle was a stevedore but I turned the ticket down to become an
engineer with peanut salary!
Art
Art