Old September 11th 08, 02:18 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
jawod jawod is offline

Default Carolina Windom using 300 ohm ladderline

Cecil Moore wrote:
john Wiener wrote:

I am putting up a Carolina Windom using ladderline ...

Technically, if you use ladderline (or twinlead) it
is not a "Carolina Windom" and also not a "Windom".

I ran such an off-center-fed dipole 57 years ago
at Texas A&M fed with 300 ohm twinlead and a 6:1
Heathkit balun at the DX-40. It worked very well.

Hi Cecil,

Thanks for that report.
Amazing how many different views there are of the Windom.

According to one source (K4IWL, Carlson):

Original Windom is a single wire feed OCF dipole

Carolina Windom is a twin lead OCF dipole with balun below the twin lead
segment

New Carolina Windom is a OCF dipole to a 4:1 balun and a short coax
length followed by a 1:1 unun (choke)

Each using a .378/.622 OCF feedpoint.

I think I'll just call mine the Wiener Dipole and be done with it

John
AB8O