Old July 27th 03, 03:20 AM
Michael Black

Alex ) writes:
What brand is the radio? I'd like to find one to tinker with.

Alex
VE3LEG

I'm pretty sure the one I bought is being sold under the "Chateau"
name. It almost seems to be a Pharmaprix house brand here for
electronic stuff and accessories, and maybe they use a different
name in the rest of the country where the chain is Shopper's Drug
Mart.

I've noticed the same radios in the other chain drugstores, but I
don't think they carry the same brand name on the package. They
were selling for $2.99, but I keep seeing them on sale for $1.99.

I suspect in this sort of thing they are all using the same IC,
no matter what the brand. Maybe there are other ICs intended for
"two button FM" radios, but it obviously would be cheapest to
stick with one common IC. I notice Radio Shack sells similar
radios, but for about ten dollars and I'm not willing to pay
the money just to see if the IC is the same.

Michael VE2BVW