Old September 13th 08, 12:40 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
BCBlazysusan BCBlazysusan is offline

Default DXing with Portables

On Sep 12, 9:02*pm, "Michael" wrote:
"Mike" wrote in message

On Sep 12, 7:47?pm, "Michael" wrote:

Hiya, Mike..

What do you think of the audio quality of the 398/909 ??? ?How does it
stack
up in general against the E5 ??? ?I've been considering buying the E5 for
while. ?I really like the analog tuning knob. ?It is an important feature
for me on a portable.

Thanx in advance !!!

Michael

Location: North NJ
Primary Rig: R75
Antennas: 102' G5RV & 30' x 40' ?Inverted L
Portables: 7600GR, G400A, DE-1101, KA-1102, PL-550
Michael,
The E5 has good audio. I never liked the audio of the 398/909 -
sounded kind of wooly (is that a word?).

I take that to mean too much mid range. *Could also mean poor definition in
general. *Either or probably a result of the audio section and not the
speaker.

Michael- Hide quoted text -

Can be fixed (the audio) with a mod from that Chris Justice fellow at
RadioLabs - if they are still in business? I didn't think it would
make that much of an improvement but it really did. I just keep it set
on the "Music" tab for everything unless dxing on 60 meters - then I
put it on normal. If it's a good enough signal I go back to "music".
All the mods that can be done to that radio actually does improve the
total package IMO. Just my 2 cents.