Old September 13th 08, 09:23 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Denny Denny is offline

Default CW is a hobby (off topic BWTH)

oops, the above was just a test...

Anyway, the FAA and the ARRL both became concerned with stagnation in
the late 50's in the Amateur Service and as a result began to thrash
about for ways to keep the service growing... Incentive licensing,
and all the other changes we see moaned about on this topic were the
result of an actual good-intentions series of changes... Those who
believe in conspiracy will never understand that, but that is their
loss.. The one thing we won't see is the status quo... Change is a
constant, even in the stodgy ranks of hams... So no code it is - for
now - and even after more than a half century on the bands I do not
proclaim to foresee the future, other than be able to announce with
perfect certainty, the regs will change... If you do not like the
regs now, just wait - you won't...

Now having said that, I am currently working on a series of homebrew
pulse desulfators for batteries.. I have one that has been blown up a
couple of times, but for the moment is upgraded and again working on
knocking the sulfate off the plates of a tractor battery... It has
13.2 volt float with 51 volt pulses at a frequency of ~1kc and ~80ms
pulse width... I have delivered and in hand (just yesterday) roughly
a $100 worth of parts to build another ten units... I have the design
for generation II of these that will feature boost and burp charging
with ramping of the pulse frequencies...

Next up for gen III will be a 40 volt charger that will be pulse
width and frequency agile that will both charge and desulphate
simultaneously with a far smaller parts count - the square wave
charging pulses doing both actions simultaneously... Today I am
beginning the first tests of the devices that will be able to switch
30+ amps at 40 volts...

denny - k8do