Old July 30th 03, 05:58 PM
David B. Thomas

Amen on the grammar comment. I often look at resumes for computer
programming positions. Good programmers are notoriously meticulous
about things like spelling, grammar and punctuation. It sort of goes
with the territory. So, if I see sloppy, disorganized language, I
figure I'm not dealing with a Real Hacker. A big red flag for me is
misspelled or miscapitalized names of industry brands, names or terms,
such as C, UNIX, uC, kHz, etc., especially if the applicant claims to
have experience in those areas.

To address the poster's original question, all of the advice I've seen
in the responses is good. What I'd add from my own experience is:

1. Don't hesitate to cite nonprofessional experience if it applies.
I've designed and built some nifty projects and published a few on
the web and elsewhere. I put those in a section of my resume
labeled "hobby achievements".

2. I have the utmost respect for schooling and degrees but I am
self-taught and so are some of my coworkers. Small companies tend
to focus more on results and less on credenitals, so if you're in a
position where you have more abilities than you can prove on paper,
you might want to try small companies.

3. If you don't get a job you wanted, ask that employer specifically
what education you should pursue, and if you really want the job,
come back in a year or so and try again. That makes a tremendous
impression and I've been in on at least one such hiring.

4. Whatever education you pursue, do lots of hands-on projects on your
own. They're fun, but they're also an important part of your
education. It's one thing to write "10 watts" as the answer to a
textbook problem on power supplies and another thing altogether to
put your finger on a resistor that is dissipating 10 watts, or to
observe how quickly a battery runs down under that kind of load.

Good luck to the original poster or anyone else who is interested in
electronics. It's fun and exciting stuff!

David