Old July 31st 03, 04:07 AM
The Eternal Squire

At this point in my life I would attempt to dissuade ANYONE from
attempting
to build a career from technology of any sort, unless it is totally in
that
person's blood. I am talking dedication far in excess one would
normally
give a spouse.

Reasons:

1. There are now very heavy market forces toward globalization. This
means
most technology jobs at the low and medium ends of the scale are being
outsourced
to third-world countries such as India, Mexico, and China.

2. There is rampant age discrimination in the field, and companies
make it extremely expensive to prove such. Your chances of getting
and keeping an
engineering, software, or electronics job diminish greatly upon
reaching the
age of about 35. Your chances of such upon the age of 40 are such
that a
great amount of luck is called for.

3. Engineers and other "techies" have now become such a commodity
that at
many large companies treat them with a fair degree of contempt.
Basically,
Dilbert is more true to life than you might think.

4. Craftsmanship is no longer a guarantee of immortality. Whatever
dedication
you place into your work will largely wind up in a landfill
eventually.

Yes, this all sounds bleak. But this is life.

In your point in life, I would recommend working your way through an
accelerated liberal arts degree at a community college where you could
possibly obtain some credits for life experience. Take practical
courses: accounting, computer programming, 4 units of a foreign
language, and how to teach English as a second language. Take some
arts: pottery is generaly easy. Take math up to integral calculus.
Then fill your mind with civics, western history, and culture.

At that point you should be prepared to teach English in the Peoples'
Republic of China.

Good luck,

The Eternal Squire