Old September 22nd 08, 03:18 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
John Smith John Smith is offline

Default Clarifying Space, "Ether" and Nothingness

Cecil Moore wrote:
John Smith wrote:
Indeed, the bell jar, being made of the large molecules of our matter
would appear as a very large screen, or even like a layer of gravel to
a liquid/gas, to the quantum-structure-nature of ether ...

Consider that the ether may be made out of exotic dark
matter capable of occupying the same space as the glass
in the jar, indeed providing the very structure that
allows the glass to exist in the form that we perceive.

Could be, but can be explained without "dark matter" ...

Lead is a very dense material, we use it as shielding against atomic
particles. Take a chunk in your hand and contemplate all those
molecules of lead you are holding. Then realize if that block of lead
were enlarged to scale, to where an atom of that lead were the size of
an orange, and you are standing next to one atom--the next closest atom
would be about the length of a football field away. This leaves plenty
of room for quantum material to pass though easier than wind passes
though a chain-link fence ...

Actually, I am far too conservative in this example ... this:

"If a drop of water were enlarged to the size of the earth, each atom in
it would be about the size of an orange. Yet most of an atom is empty
space through which the electrons whirl. The nucleus itself occupies
only one million-billionth of the atom's bulk. "

From he

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...792294,00.html

"Our matter", being used as a "bottle" for ether is a "SERIOUS JOKE!"

Regards,
JS