Old September 22nd 08, 06:52 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
john Wiener john Wiener is offline

Default Carolina Windom revisited: 4 to 1 balun does nothing to choke RF?

Having received some very good advice about the Carolina Windom, I now
ask a question to which I THINK I already know the answer.

This particular version of the CW OCF dipole uses 300 ohm twin lead
feedline terminated after 33 feet to a 4:1 balun. Richard warned of
significant risk of RF on the outer (inner?) braid of the coax.

I've never read of using a 1:1 unun right after a 4:1 balun to minimize
RF on the outer coax.

My thinking is that the 4:1 balun acts as a voltage type and will do
nothing to ameliorate this. So, I will put some ferrite rings or snap
on ferrites just past the 4:1 balun on the coax.

Does this sound like a reasonable solution?

John
AB8O