Old July 31st 03, 10:51 PM
David B. Thomas

"TES" == The Eternal Squire writes:

TES At this point in my life I would attempt to dissuade ANYONE
TES from attempting to build a career from technology of any
TES sort, unless it is totally in that person's blood. I am
TES talking dedication far in excess one would normally give a
TES spouse. [...]

Rush Limbaugh is always talking about this kind of bitter advice.
Young people who are interested in getting into the radio business
often ask their more senior counterparts, only to be told, "you better
not get into this business -- you'll get eaten alive". Sure, it's
hard, but if you ask someone who hasn't been successful himself,
that's the kind of answer you'll get. Rush encourages would-be radio
personalities to follow their dreams.

My philosophy on this type of thing is simple, and mirrors Rush's. If
you do what you love, you'll be great at it. If you do what you don't
love, you'll be mediocre. I had a girlfriend who was fascinated with
psychology but took computer programming because she thought that was
where the money would be. When she graduated she got a job she didn't
like, and she didn't do very well, even as others did great in the
same field.

To his credit, Mr. Squire did mention that someone who is passionate
can do fine in his chosen field, even in hard times. I suppose if
you've made up your mind in advance that you will be mediocre no
matter what you do, then you might as well choose a field where
mediocrity is punished the least, but I can't imagine living my life
like that.

TES 1. There are now very heavy market forces toward
TES globalization. This means most technology jobs at the low
TES and medium ends of the scale are being outsourced to
TES third-world countries such as India, Mexico, and China.

Not to slam those countries or the accomplished professionals in them,
but some types of work are more easily outsourced than others. Some
of the most exciting work in technology fields is not exported.

TES 2. There is rampant age discrimination in the field, and
TES companies make it extremely expensive to prove such. Your
TES chances of getting and keeping an engineering, software, or
TES electronics job diminish greatly upon reaching the age of
TES about 35. Your chances of such upon the age of 40 are such
TES that a great amount of luck is called for.

This type of bitter (though generally true) remark reminds me of the
lament of many single people. Sure, the vast majority of people you
could possibly date won't work out, but you only need to find a few
good fits in your entire life. Why be content to have an ordinary
job, or an ordinary mate? The median age where I work is around 40,
and our most cutting edge research is being done by people in their
50s and 60s. I'm 37 and I think I'm currently the youngest in our
department.

TES 3. Engineers and other "techies" have now become such a
TES commodity that at many large companies treat them with a fair
TES degree of contempt. Basically, Dilbert is more true to life
TES than you might think.

True enough. Drunk, drooling men in bars are a commodity, too,
receiving a good deal of contempt. When I set out to meet a woman, I
make sure I'm not drunk and drooling (or even in a bar!). Likewise,
when I apply for a job, I emphasize my unique abilities.

TES 4. Craftsmanship is no longer a guarantee of immortality.
TES Whatever dedication you place into your work will largely
TES wind up in a landfill eventually.

Our landfills are full of successful products which have made fortunes
for their creators, but I assume you're talking about projects being
scrapped instead of completed. Again, my outlook is far more
positive. If you can make machines bend to your will, your skills
will always be in demand.

TES Yes, this all sounds bleak. But this is life.

TES In your point in life, I would recommend working your way
TES through an accelerated liberal arts degree at a community
TES college where you could possibly obtain some credits for life
TES experience. Take practical courses: accounting, computer
TES programming, 4 units of a foreign language, and how to teach
TES English as a second language. Take some arts: pottery is
TES generaly easy. Take math up to integral calculus. Then fill
TES your mind with civics, western history, and culture.

TES At that point you should be prepared to teach English in the
TES Peoples' Republic of China.

Wow, this sounds bitter. The original poster expressed enthusiasm and
an interest in a specific field, and now you'd have him put his time
and energy into just about everything else! Every one of the jobs you
mentioned has a dreary place for its mediocre practitioners:
accounting sweatshops, computer code grinders, etc. And for goodness
sake why take up an art just because it's "generally easy"? I'm
starting to wonder if Mr. Squire has ever felt like doing something
and then done it and enjoyed it and felt good about it.

To the original poster of this thread, I'd say, examine your reasons
for pursuing electronics. If it's because you think you'll enjoy it
and really dig in, then do that. If it's just because you heard
that's where the money is these days, take a lesson from my old
girlfriend (and me, and Rush Limbaugh) and do something you're
passionate about.

David