Old August 1st 03, 01:56 PM
Alex

I agree, homebrewing is great. It actually got me interested in taking
engineering in College. I started homebrewing partially out of interest,
and mostly because I couldn't afford real gear! After a few simple
transmitters, receivers and stuff, I realized that I REALLY enjoy this
stuff, so I decided to go with it.

Alex/VE3LEG

Bruce Raymond wrote:
Jason,

Congratulations on your choice of career direction. I wish you well.
I'm not sure whether or not homebrewing makes you a good
engineer, or if being a good engineer triggers something that makes
you homebrew. Bob Pease (I think) once said something to the
effect that the really good engineers he'd hired were the ones who
continued to do engineering things even when they weren't at work.
(My apologies to Bob if I've misstated his intent.) The idea is that
doing technical things is a passion for some of us. We'd do these
things even if we don't get paid. Homebrewing is a passion.

A general observation - many young engineers (and far too many
older engineers) have little or no hands-on experience. They can
model something and run great simulations, but are stopped cold
when it comes to actually troubleshooting hardware. Knowing
how real hardware works will give you an edge. Homebrewing
is a great education.

Bruce Raymond/ND8I

"Jason Hsu" wrote in message
m...

Have your circuit-building activities led you to a career? I know Roy
does RF engineering consulting work and is most famous for NEC code
for antenna simulation. Any others? Is anyone here working at
Perkin-Elmer? OI Corporation? Or any of the numerous smaller
instrumentation companies? I can see what types of engineering
careers homebrewing can lead to: not only RF, but also
instrumentation/controls. In fact, many of the projects in the ARRL
books are electronic measuring devices.

snip