Old August 1st 03, 08:07 PM
James Horn

Hello, Jason!

Having had electronics as a hobby / passion since I was given a Knight Kit
21-in-1 electronics 'lab' while 10 years old, I ended up choosing a
college (IIT), major (EE), and career accordingly. While some career
fields can lead to burnout, the terrific diversity of electrical
engineering has always left me learning and enjoying more. Modern field
programmable logic, high performance CPUs, signal conversion, and more
open avenues that were undreamed of just recently. And homebrewing lets
you get your learning and experience with portions of the field that you
may not be using at work but can pay great dividends in future projects.

Most jobs that have hired me - and the resulting seniority there - have
been due to my range of proven capabilities (analog, RF, digital, FPGAs,
embedded processors; software and hardware; telecom, test and measurement
systems, semiconductor production, motion control; etc.). Amateur radio
has helped a lot (since building my own transmitter when 16) as has
involvement with the Experimental Aircraft Association and other active
groups which give you a chance to jump into projects and learn.

Back in school I was amazed at some engineering students who wouldn't know
which end of a soldering iron to grab. Homebrew projects can make a world
of difference in practical knowledge.

Best to you and your career - the world always needs more engineers with
passion, skill, and knowledge!

Jim Horn, WB9SYN/6 (Love what I do - and get paid, too!)