Old September 25th 08, 04:37 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Jerry[_5_] Jerry[_5_] is offline

Default How to make an excellent wifi (802.11 b/g/n) antenna?

"Penang" wrote in message
My background isn't on antenna making, in fact, my training is in
Chemical engineering, not physics.

But lately I've spent a lot of times consuming materials I dig from
the Net about antennas, in the effect to learn how to make an
excellent (effective?) wifi antenna.

Specifically, my interest is in the "broadcast" type of antenna ...
trying to find a way to "extend" the range of a typical wifi
basestation using antennas alone (maybe with the help of MIMO
antennas), without "range repeaters" or whatnots.

My brain is now fully clogged, and I'm having difficulties digesting
all the stuffs that I've gotten.

So I desperately need you help.

Is there a place (a forum, a website, a tutorial, and whatnots) where
one can learn about antennas, without having one's brain clogged up,
like mine right now?

What's your suggestion / opinion on how to construct an excellent
(pair) of MIMO antenna for wifi (802.11 b/g/n) ?

Thank you all !

Hi Penang

Do you wish to broadcast to all azimuth directions? The antenna design is
highly dependent on the angle over which you want to 'extend wifi'. I
suggest you read some of Trevor Marshal's writing (Google his name)

I strongle recxommend that you use [router, bridge] at the antenna and use
CAT 5 to connect to your computer.

Jerry KD6JDJ