Old August 2nd 03, 04:25 AM
Active8

In article vKBWa.20717$KF1.308575@amstwist00, lid says...
Paul Burridge wrote:
Hi chaps,

Can anyone suggest a suitable material from which to make an
ultra-flexible mobile whip antenna say about 3 to 4 feet long. I need
something that can be bent to 90 degrees at a very small radius and
still return to reasonable straightness.

I think thin piano wire will give the best results. Place a lot of them
in a flexible tube to gain some thickness and have them silvered for
conductivity - or add a stranded copper wire.

Spring metal strip may also work, especially if you can manage some type
of hinge at the base that allows it to turn when sideways force is
exerted, or if the force is in one plane.

Thomas

what is a tight bend? music wire comes in diff sizes and the number in
the tube and how tightly the tube conforms to it will have an effect on
the flexibility.

a shorty could be made from those old storm door return springs inside
shink tube which is what i'd suggest putting the music wire in. use the
copper wire, i'd think. seal the ends from the elements, except for fire
:-0

short segments of wire(s) with return spring segments as connectors?

OTOH, mobile whips with base springs are common enough if all you're
worried about is those friggin' trees hanging over the road that no one
cuts, or the drive through windows. why such a tight bend spec?

regards,
mike