Old August 3rd 03, 06:19 PM
Richard Henry

"Active8" wrote in message
k.net...
In article ,

says...

"Paul Burridge" wrote in message
On 2 Aug 2003 16:24:24 GMT, Allodoxaphobia
wrote:

You might try a section from a steel tape measure.
(Just don't select one of the cheap, Made-In-China plastic/mylar
ones. HI!HI!)
Additionally, try to mount the antenna in a "well" on the robot.
Even a well of 5-10 mm will help out.

Not sure about the tape measure suggestion, but mounting in a well

is
something I'd not considered and am most grateful for the idea of!
Thanks...

Does it have to be a whip antenna? Why not try a horizontal circular

loop?
Since you are working line of sight to the robot, the signal loss

from going
from vertical to horizontal shouldn't matter much unless your

transmitter is
extremely low power. A loop could be mounted inside a wooden or

fiberglas
body and be pretty safe from attack.

Is there anything in the rules forbidding your installing a jammer
transmitter to cause the other bot to lose its command channel?

Probobly a
poor use of what little electrical capacity the onboard battery

holds, but
it would be one way of causing the other bot to freeze in place and

become
like a deer in the headlights.
thanks, John.
KC5DWD

i always thought jamming would be a great weapon, but i bet it's
illegal. i'd like to see the rules for some of those competitions. i'd
think it would be fun to try sometime. i wan't to smash jay leno's

bot.
come on. "chinkilla"? who writes his lines?

Paul's restricted to two bands, which i think stinks. he's probably

not
allowed to jam. The band restriction i really don't like since it's a
bot competition not a DX contest.

I have a friend who competes. I suggested jamming to him; he said it
was not allowed.

Besides, they're not really robots. All of them are just RC toys. I'll
be more impressed when they are autonomous.