Old October 2nd 08, 02:37 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
[email protected] jimmie68@gmail.com is offline

Default Switching power supplies question.

On Oct 2, 4:29*am, raypsi wrote:
On Oct 1, 12:55*pm, terry wrote:

We recently modified such a power supply to get a single 12 volt DC
output at about 20 amps for a particular, amateur radio application.
In order to do so we had to load one of the 5 volt ouputs with a
couple of amps in order to get the unit to work; but that's normal.

Hey terry

I did that very same thing loaded the 5volt with 5ohm at 5 watt.
Ran my TenTec 526 off the 12 volt side of the PC power supply.
I thought it was the sweetest thing since sliced bread. Then
people started telling me I had this strange background noise.
They asked me what was going on in my shack. I had this strange
eerie noise in my shack, so they thought. Wasn't in my shack per
say but it was the PC power supply. Nobody knew I was running
a PC supply to power my rig.

73 OM

n7zu

I also use a modified PC power supply with no problems. I did add a
filter removed
from a commercial computer SMPS. I dont know the values of the
components but its a Pi filter
and the inductor is wound on what looks like a ferrite rod. The caps
are some pretty big disk
that had the writing rubbed off of them a long time ago. As Grumpy put
it. I like to "Frankenstien"
some of my projects.

I have been giving some thought as to what it would take to modify a
PC power supply for HV use.
I have been thinking along two lines,

1 Connect a second step-up transformer before the rectifiers.
2 Replace the transformer with one with a HV windingputting a 5volt
winding on the new
transformer for loading and feedback.

Jimmie