Old October 3rd 08, 02:04 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Sal M. Onella Sal M. Onella is offline

Default Quick Rooftop Antenna For Channel 2?

"Sal M. Onella" wrote in message

snip

I posted the instructions for a Channel 2 Yagi a few weeks ago. They were
acknowledged and I've been waiting anxiously for some feedback.

Curiosity got the better of me this afternoon, so I built the thing
myself -- exactly as described except for the second director, since I was
losing the light and three elements proved the point.

snip

... the picture was quite watchable.

Today, I added the second director and the signal level actually went DOWN a
dB or two. I couldn't believe it, so I took the second director off and
the signal came back up.

Maybe the extra director is throwing off the impedance, and making any
additional gain disappear. The folded dipole is terminated in a 300/75 TV
balun and these are not precision instruments!

I noted that the MFG-259 analyzer did not show one distinct dip in the SWR.
There were dips all over the place. I realize that the -259 is 50 ohms and
I was reading into a 75 ohm system but I don't think that would greatly
affect the dips, other than how close to 1:1 I'd see.