Old October 7th 08, 01:52 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Art Unwin Art Unwin is offline

Default small antennas

On Oct 6, 7:19*pm, wrote:
On Oct 4, 2:12*pm, John Smith wrote:

NM5K wrote:

Yes. But they deal with the real world, not a bunch of conjered up
voodoo science.

Funny you should mention that. *As, when you peek closely under the hood
of the NEC engine (at least the one I use and have the source code to),
it does have a bit of what you call "voodoo science", IMHO ...

Can you believe that? This guy is claiming that the method of moments
is voodoo science! I wonder what is peek under the hood was. What
books did he read? Can he still read books? It's twight time...

Only people with limited room are likely to be interesting
in accepting a decrease in performance, vs using full size
antennas. The only place you see me using small antennas on HF

Don't forget us guys who are over 50 and getting tired of maintaining
large hunks of metal in the sky and fighting the force of gravity Gods
to do so (in more ways than one! *

Not to mention those fierce ether winds.

And, not to mention neighbors, rules,
regulations, etc.) *With the price of real estate being manipulated near
"Hong Kong Prices" (what is that, about a million dollars a sq. ft.?),

I guess "John" has not heard about the real estate crash.

reduced size antennas will only increase in uses and demand ...

That is true because the microwave portions of the spectrum is
becoming so pervasive. But not HF.

Regards,
JS

Sigh....another senility eruption takes its course.

John could well be correct as certain assumed conditions(assumptions)
were set over and above Maxwell's laws
prior to the program being computed !
These programs are generally used to determine the functions of planar
antennas and the like that do NOT meet
the conditions implied in Maxwell's laws. One condition implicite in
all the laws of the masters is that
Newtons laws with respect to equilibrium must be observed, which rules
out such arrangements as the Yagi.
This is not to say that Maxwell's laws are used incorrectly in antenna
programs,only that it is usually used outside
its intended usage where acountability of all vectors are not
accounted for, which thus provides aproximations
Close enough for horse shoes and lemmings but not for the pursuit of
science along the lines intended by Newton and others.
Best regards
Art Unwin KB9MZ