Old October 6th 08, 04:38 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Drifter Drifter is offline

Default Universal has a Frog 7 w/Collins filter

BDK wrote:

BDK.
Your right, on the 7700 and the 8800. they were nothing special,
unless your a collector. the frog-7 was was a good radio in it's
time. i have a high number 7 and the sears badged receiver in my
collection. the 7 is still a fun receiver. and if you read the yahoo
group, a bunch of them are still in use. our friend GH still uses
one as his number one receiver. these days most people want an
easy to use receiver- got to have a keypad and almost tune itself.
even some don't like the palstar which doesn't have a keypad, but
is still an up to date receiver. i'm not lazy, and tuning a good
receiver is still fun to me.

Drifter...

I like the old ones too.

I have a modded to ridiculous levels Hammarlund HQ-100 that, except for
stability in SSB mode (It has a product detector added to it) is the
equal of anything under about $1000 new I have put against it. It sounds
great running into a RS Minimus-7 speaker. It also makes a great space
heater in this coldest room in the house. Got it for a whopping $58 on
Ebay long ago. All I had to do to get it going was resolder a wire. A
couple years ago, I had to put a couple of tubes in it, but that's it.

I bought a Allied SX-190 SW receiver that I have been playing with,
trying to find and fix the cause of a sensitivity issue on all bands
except the 9MHZ one. That one is sensitive to the point of overload. I
will get going on it again one of these days, it's got to be something
simple, as the radio works fine, except for being deaf on most bands.

In the newer easy to use rig dept, my JRC NRD-515, is my main reciever,
with a modded NRD-525, and Kenwood TS850 are fun too.

BDK, vary cool. had an SX-190 many moons ago, wish i still had it.
the NRD-515 is one of my all time favorites. great rig, been trying
for about 3 years to get my hands on the keypad and junction box for
mine. sounds like you got yourself a great line up there. that Hammar
should be a great winter project.

Drifter...