Old August 6th 03, 02:29 AM
Roy Lewallen

I wasn't able to find such a thing in the (quite elaborate) electrical
department of a large DIY store. Is this something used in electrical
mains wiring (which is what the DIY store carries), or for some other
purpose?

In this country, it's long been standard practice to bring mains power
into a house via a "weather head", which is a pipe bent into a U shape,
so the wires enter it upward. There's a rubber grommet for the three
large diameter mains wires built in. This is very effective for its
intended use, but not useful for my purpose. I've never seen modern
electrical wiring run directly through an outside wall, if that's the
function of the "gland".

I'll try looking at a large electronics store next time I'm there.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Sylvan Butler wrote:
On Mon, 4 Aug 2003 20:48:55 +0100, Ian White, G3SEK wrote:

Roy Lewallen wrote:

control cable. I want a weatherproof bulkhead connector with at least 8
or 9 conductors, and I'd like the cable part to be weatherproof also. I
don't want to use an in-line connector because of the problems of
weatherproofing and strain relieving wires going through the box wall.

A standard electrical cable gland will weatherproof the cable going
through the box wall (or whatever you call that thing with a
compressible rubber washer that squeezes down onto the cable). That

That's what I call them, but I have no idea if that is standard
terminology here in the States.

would leaves an in-line connector pair which is a good shape to wrap
with tape, so it needn't be inherently waterproof.

Yup. That's what I'd do.

sdb