Old October 8th 08, 08:53 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
KaitoWRX911 KaitoWRX911 is offline

Default IBOC obsolete out of the box.

On Oct 7, 7:01�pm, "A Browne" wrote:
It depends on how soon it is played again. One hour later, month later,
year later makes a big difference. What the radio stations do with short
playlists is pure torture. I turned off FM in my teens and bought my own
records, tapes, and CD's.

There are people who listen to the radio once in a blue moon...and there are
those that would have it on every waking moment.

Neither of these are who radio thinks about when programming. �So if you
fall into these two categories, radio is not shedding a tear because you
left.

Radio programs to the masses. �Some CHR/Top 40 stations rotate their most
popular songs every 2-1/4 hours....and are very sucessful....such as Z100,
Kiss 108, Kiss-FM, etc. �Is it because people WANT to hear the same song
2-1/4 hours later? �No, it probably because the same people aren't
listening. �And if they are, they'll hear the most popular song(s) a 2nd
time.

(And yes, people complaim about the frequency of songs -those that want to
listen for 18 hours str8....and people complain that they never hear there
favorite songs---those that listen for 5 minutes a day.)

CHR stations are notorius for getting huge cumes. �It works.

Quite frankly this is an absolutely stupid argument as everyone knows
what the public wants.

Everyone except the radio stations, right?

Telamon knows more thatthe programmers of the most sucessful stations in the
counrty. �puh-leese.

When I was listening to FM long ago a new station
would appear on the dial and was trying to get market share. Well, what
did they do you ask?

1. Few commercials.
2. The commercials they had were read by the DJ's without the annoying
volume changes, sound effects, background music.
3. They played albums not just the one or two most popular tracks. They
didn't always play the entire album but most it.
4. The DJ's played the music they liked.
5. Some of the DJ's were comedians and were fun and interesting.

Market share grew. The station became popular.

Please cite this case...and the timeline...so that you can prove this point.