Old October 10th 08, 09:11 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Dan Lanciani Dan Lanciani is offline

Default Hygain rotor quality decline?

In article , (Ralph Mowery) writes:

| "Dan Lanciani" ddl@danlan.*com wrote in message
| I just installed my third HAMIV rotor; I got about 4 years each from
| the previous two. The most recent failure was the pot, with 5-6 turns
| worn through at the spot I usually leave the rotor.
|
| That sure sounds like a short life for a rotator. As you have it inside the
| tower (?) I guess that you have a thrust bearing at the top of the tower.

There is a collar; I'm reluctant to elevate it by calling it a bearing but
it does prevent any significant mast bending moment from reaching the rotor.

| Are you near the salt water or in a very windy place ?

Yes, about a block from the ocean.

| Do you contes with
| it and turn it a lot ?

I don't turn it a lot and I always leave it in the same position since
that is the position that allows me to lower the tower and I wouldn't
want it stuck in some other position. Obviously this isn't great for
the pot if the brake isn't working well.

But none of this explains the reduction in life compared to the old HAMM
(I think we are talking nearly an order of magnitude) or the screw hole
tapping problems with the latest unit. Was there a stainless bearing
option (perhaps third-party) for the HAMM? That might have had something
to do with it. Other than the bearings (and of course the pot) the latest
failure doesn't look *too* bad inside.

Dan Lanciani
ddl@danlan.*com