Old October 11th 08, 03:33 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.antenna
W3CQH W3CQH is offline

Default Hygain rotor quality decline?

wrote in message
Dan,
I think you may have answered one or two of your complaints. I
also think you have had a couple of 'manufacturing defects' that the
company really ought to fix.
Because of where you live, you are going to have corrosion problems
no matter who makes your rotor. About the only simple means of
reducing that corrosion problem is regular maintenance, more regular
than 'normal'?
Two 'duds' in a row is sort of unusual. That tends to tell me that
quality control may not be the 'best' in the woprld, or at least could
be a little better. I'm sure they won't jump for joy with another
complaint, but I certainly think I would complain if it were my rotor!
Good luck.
- 'Doc

Dan,

Since you live so close to the ocean, you might want to try and coat (spray
paint) the rotator assy with NEOPRENE PAINT. (This paint is waterproof &
impervious to salt water & diesel fuel and you should be able to find it in
either a well stocked hardware store or paint supply store).

You also might want to coat any open antenna connectors as well as any
coaxial connectors.

Your other option would be to coat your rotator with a 2-part epoxy based
paint, although this is rather expensive, and if you had to take the rotator
apart it would be a BEAR OF A JOB! Personally, I would stay with the
NEOPRENE!

my $0.02
73's de Howard W3CQH