Old October 13th 08, 02:54 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Telamon Telamon is offline

Default Here is where digital radio should go

In article ,
"Dan" wrote:

"Telamon" wrote in message

The new band would offer different content from AM and FM. The content
would be local or metro area specific. This would be in sync with the
service area coverage, which is local. They would not carry syndicated
programming. They would carry free commercial supported and for pay
services.

Who is this "different content" going to be aimed at?

Less then 9 month old fetuses. None has marketed to them yet.

Virtually no one under 25 listens regularly to AM radio, and very few
listen to FM. Everyone has the music/programs/whatever they want on
their MP3 players and cell phones. Radio just isn't even on the
radar for these people.

This would not be "AM radio". Not everyone listens to players they
program all the time. How else are people to find new music? How about
being surprised? I have plenty of CD's and MP3 recordings and I still
listen to the radio.

That leaves the existing, aging AM/FM audience. So you end up
splitting that audience, or that audience does not embrace the new
content/frequency/radios. The former will kill both, the latter
will just kill the new medium.

Different content creates a different audience. This is no a zero sum
game.

If this was done 10 years ago, it MIGHT have made a difference. I just
think it's too late to save AM radio, and FM is not far behind. As the
quote goes, "Listening to radio is like listening to someone else's Ipod,
with commercials". It is simply irrelevant to the current generation.

It would make a difference today and it is not to late for AM. I don't
think FM would remain viable though. FM as it is programed today is
mostly dead.

Of course, it's entirely possible that as these kids get older and get
interested in other things besides the latest Pop Tarts and Boy Bands (like
sports/politics/news/talk), they may start listening. Or they may just
download the shows and listen commercial free on their MP3 players and cell
phones.

I don't see why tastes would have to change for it to work. Like I said
the new band would be a collection of free radio and subscription. The
new band would broadcast up to the moment content news, traffic,
weather, just released music. This is where the short attention mode
material would be broadcast.

The new band will offer different up to the moment localized content.
The existing AM will cater more toward regional audiences with
syndicated programs of general interest, long interviews, discussions,
news magazines and the like. This where the long attention mode material
would be broadcast.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California