Old October 14th 08, 08:17 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Frank Dresser Frank Dresser is offline

Default ibiquity AM hybrid digital radio provides little consumer benefits

"Radio Ronn" lq6dpvk02-at-sneakemail.com wrote in message
. ..

[snip]

No, HD offers better fidelity capability than analog. (The radio is a
seperate story.)

What does "fidelity capability" mean? AM can have wide frequency response,
high dynamic range and vanishingly low distortion.

There have been several attempts to sell high fidelity AM. The most recent
was the AMAX standard. Nobody cared.

[snip]

Why is NPR on FM stations mostly? ANd why are most NPR talk stations
broadcasting in stereo?

(because people expect it....)

The people who could have expected most NPR stations to end up on FM were at
the FCC. When FM was kicked up to the 100 MHz band after WW2, the FCC
mandated that the low end of the band be reserved for educational stations.
Many of these stations were the ancestors of the NPR stations.

And I know our local NPR station was broadcasting mostly mono into the 90s.
I believe it was NPR network policy to broadcast with the stereo pilot off
unless the program was in stereo. An excellent policy, in my opinion, as FM
mono is capable of a much better signal to noise ratio than FM stereo.

However, I'm sure some dumbasses thought they were getting "less radio" if
the stereo bulb wasn't lit.

Frank Dresser