Old October 15th 08, 02:23 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
A Browne A Browne is offline

Default ibiquity AM hybrid digital radio provides little consumer benefits

Well, a couple of nights ago, I did a band scan to see how badly
IBOC was ****ing* on the AM band. I only heard four signals, two of
which were local (Seattle).

DX-ing is something which adds no value to the broadcasts or broadcasters
and has never been a reliable source of listening outside of it's
protected
contours.

Someone over on radio-info.com mentioned that WLS, I believe, used to
draw ratings in other states. I'm suspect some of the other old clears
used to do the same, before the FCC changed the rules in the 80s.

that was 25 years ago. those days are gone.

That's not the only argument. There are some pretty blatant examples
of real problems, such as WBZ affecting at least two stations inside
their protected contours, including KDKA.

Well since KDKA is owned by them, we'll see if they think it is enough of
an issue to do something about.

So far they haven't.

As far as the other station, it's a small 'rimshot' station that is trying
to reach a city it was not intended to do by design.