Old October 17th 08, 08:36 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Owen Duffy Owen Duffy is offline

Default Question on SWR

"Dave" wrote in
:

yeah, when you use the full complex Z0 and probably the full
transmission line equations it gets a bit more complex. but for
amateur use that graph is close enough. the difference between 5 and
500 ohm loads of .07db or so for 100m just ain't worth quibbling about
for normal amateur hf use. unless you want to argue it out with
cecil.

You either misread my example (it was 1m not 100m) or you labour under
the misapprehension that loss per unit length under mismatched conditions
is constant at all displacements along the cable.

When approximations that hold under some conditions replace the
underlying principles, we dumb down. The formula and graphs for
"additional loss due to VSWR" without statement of the assumptions under
which it is valid are an example... where now, so many people accept the
concept that VSWR necessarily increases loss.

The OP was trying to reconcile calculated losses in a particular
scenario, and one of the contributions to error was the "additional loss
due to VSWR". It is fine with me that understanding doesn't appeal to you
Dave, but you don't need to press that approach on the rest of us.

Owen

(PS: if we take a length of 50 ohm coax sufficiently short that current
distribution is approximately uniform, and consider the losses under
matched conditions and under a 500 ohm load with same load power where
voltage is three times and current is one third, it is intuitive that
since most of the loss in practical coax cables is due to I^2R loss
(compared to V^2G), that loss will be LESS (than Matched Line Loss)...
approximately one tenth in that case... so why swallow the ROT that high
VSWR necessarily increases loss.)