Old October 18th 08, 10:02 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Frank Dresser Frank Dresser is offline

Default ibiquity AM hybrid digital radio provides little consumer benefits

"David Eduardo" wrote in message

[snip]

But it took a full decade for FM to achieve listening parity... which
is why we say that HD is a long, long term process.

Individualized media and internet delivery are here now, in a somewhat
clunky form. The technology in these areas can be developed at a dizzying
speed.

Do the broadcasters have the time for a long, long term process?

I wouldn't mind IBOC so much if other people were getting alot of use out of
it. Radio did a quick job of getting a bunch of IBOC equipment on the air.
But after that, what's happened? Radio prices are still high, and for the
most part, the few that exist are either deskbound or dash bound. And why
buy a radio anyway? There's only a meager supply of quality unique
programming.

I think I have an understanding of some of the big problems. Chipsets will
remain expensive unless production becomes huge. And there's the matter of
ibiquity's licensing fee. And broadcasters want their most popular
programming on the main channels.

But, if HD radio is a sure winner, they ought to back their bet with real
money. Where's their faith?

I doubt this current half assed approach will seem worthwhile after the full
decade is up.

And it is way to late to
save AM now that owners are moving the "good" formats to FM because the AM
listener base is so old they can't sell advertising.

Then they should just turn the damn noisemakers off. That interstation
racket is killing our hearing aids.

Frank Dresser