Old October 19th 08, 01:12 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David Eduardo[_4_] David Eduardo[_4_] is offline

Default ibiquity AM hybrid digital radio provides little consumer benefits

"Telamon" wrote in message
In article ,
"David Eduardo" wrote:

You do not have the same noise floor in a car as you do in a quiet living
room. Because of this, and that fact that just under a third of radio
listening is in the car. we adjust processing so that low level momets
are
brought up by AGC / leveling action so they will not be below the normal
or
average noise floor in a moving car.

What a revelation coming from you that the music is compressed. I don't
think all stations do this to the extent that you supposedly do it.

The music comes pre-compressed. Look at most any commercial CD's waveforms
and you can see what is done to the music.

But stations don't "compress... the music." We process the audio for
consistency. We do AGC where required to tighten the dynamic range, we have
peak limiting to stay legal and we have multi-band processing to make sure
there is song-to-song-to-commercial-to-DJ consistency.

Most do more processing than I like. If you really want to hear processing,
try the New York FMs. They are all B's, and at the ESB, only around 6 kw...
so there has been a loudness war there for 4 decades. Every station buys
every new model of the Optimod or the Omnia, and pushes them very close to
the point that they generate square waves.

Again, every station processes. It's a de facto legal requirement, in fact:
overmodulation is against the FCC rules, and not having processing or not
setting it up right as some stations have proved, is not an excuse. The FCC
is not int he dynamic range protection business.

The HD radio in my vehicle is a module added to the base BMW computer /
radio / GPS / vehicle control system. It does not affect the very good
design of both the car and the radio.

Sounds like you are having car receiving problems. Maybe you have a
defective radio and a defective car. I'd take it back to the dealer and
get it fixed.

I am not having reception problems, and you know it. Like most listeners, I
don't put up with noisy signals if I even listen to AM.

Most radio listening is done on that kind of radio.

I doubt it. Other than the cubical radio all my listening has been and
is stereo.

The radio is a perfect square? Or you have it in your cubicle?

Many research companies have done over the last few decades studies on what
kind of radio people use most of the time. It's the kitchen radio from Bed,
Bath and Beyond or WalMart or Target, picked often more to match the color
of the countertops than for any audio quality concerns. And it's mono. It's
the clock radio... similarly mono, or with two speakers 3 inches apart,
which is still mono. It's the radio in the payment booth at the car park, or
the one in the office or the AC station on the overhead speakers in the
insurance office. It's mostly mono.