Old October 21st 08, 05:05 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Ian Jackson[_2_] Ian Jackson[_2_] is offline

Default Antenna design question

In message , Richard Clark
writes
On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 13:30:39 +0100, Ian Jackson
wrote:

Are there any calculations or charts for centre impedance of a dipole in
free space, starting from zero length, and going out to infinity?

Institutional memory here is so slight:

"Theory of antennas of arbitrary size and
shape," Proc. I.R.E., 29, 493, 1941 and S. A. Schelkunoff, "Advanced
Antenna Theory, " John Wiley and Sons, Inc., New York, (1952)

Accessible reference work can be found by searching the PTO with his
patent number: 2235506.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Thanks. As I said in my reply to Dave Platt, I would have thought that
the feed impedance of a dipole over a wide range of frequencies/lengths
(ie 'very short' to 'very long') would have been fairly typical
rule-of-thumb required information for those interested in antennas.
However, this does not seem to be the case.
--
Ian