Old October 24th 08, 07:26 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,sci.electronics.design,rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Anthony Fremont[_3_] Anthony Fremont[_3_] is offline

Default 868MHz Propagation problem

Mark wrote:
On Oct 24, 2:00 pm, "Paul Hovnanian P.E." wrote:

wow so many of these replies are wrong..

This is normal when antenna "theory" comes up.

in almost all cases, RF path losses are RECIPROCAL.

I agree, including the antenna gains (meaning that the antennas at each end
don't have to match).

(even a 1/2 silvered mirror is reciprocal to light)

Well that guy is usually on a differet page.

As some have said, the cause of your issue is probably interference to
the outside receiver.

That's what I think is the most likely cause. The guy outside probably has
his Nextel phone with him. ;-)

Or maybe something about the indoor setup is causing the indoor Tx to
operate at lower power.

I suppose that's possible too. The OP should make sure the power supplies
are equivalent (meaning that the output power would suffer more than the
receiver gain with a drooping supply). So check the indoor supply.

It is very unusual for RF path loss to be non-reciprocal.