Old October 25th 08, 06:27 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Mike Coslo Mike Coslo is offline

Default Antenna design question

Richard Clark wrote in
:

On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 09:48:43 -0400, Michael Coslo
wrote:

I've been working with mobile antennas for the past several months, and
I might be going astray, because I keep thinking about increased
bandwidth as a partner of lowered efficiency. Not likely the case here.

Hi Mike,

Only if you think of the vehicle body as the fat radiator and the
"mobile antenna" as a tuned radial. Unfortunately, that tuned radial
restricts the capacity of the fat radiator to achieve wide band
operation. Wide bandedness is a function of the complete system.
Unfortunately most look at the "radiator" and miss the necessity of
the counterpoise which demands an equally "large" contribution.

Agreed. while messing with my installation, I spent much more time with
bonding all my vehicle - did you know a Suzuki Vitara has an actual frame?
Many dozens of braid straps. It was all worth it though.

- 73 de Mike N3LI -