Old October 29th 08, 10:50 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Harry H Harry H is offline

Default HYgain 18-AVT

"Owen Duffy" wrote in message
"Harry H" wrote in
:

Some time ago I wrote to Hygain:

Sir,
Our Ham Radio Club owns 2 Hygain 18-AVT vertical antennas.
We are after 2 sets of black plastic shields which fit between the
vertical alloy tubing and the outer cover of the traps,
Can you supply them to us?

Harry

Hygain wrote back:

Sir,
The only parts available are tubing pieces.
Thanks,
Jim Shurden
Hygain Customer Service

Question is, what can I use as a substitute, I have tried truck wheel
cylinder boots, but the carbon in them upsets the apple cart.

Harry,

I had a 4BTV that suffered failure of the trap covers, a result of
destructive birds eating them.

I made replacement parts from PVC plumbing fittings, not because Hustler
couldn't supply parts, but there was little point repairing with same
fodder for the birds.

The repair is described at http://www.vk1od.net/H4BTV/hustler4btv.htm .
It might give you some ideas.

BTW, Hustler must have seen the article and sent me gratis a set of
original trap covers, they are still in the shed after twenty years...
the PVC works fine and the birds haven't attacked them (though they seem
to enjoy anthing else with exposed PE or vinyl).

Owen

Thanks Owen,
I guess it was either the Galahs or the White Cockatoos that did the damage.

I know when I used to sell UHF CB to farmers out west, we used to have
trouble with them chewing on the top of the collinear antenna.

We used to slide some white PVC down over the vertical and anything over 3/4
to 7/8" in dia used to stop them.

It annoys me that Hygain will not supply them and must get a high enquiry
rate for these shields.

I will see if I can find the right diameter and machine them to fit snugly.

Thanks for the heads up on your experience!

Thanks to all those who have offered their advice too.

73
Harry