Old October 29th 08, 11:33 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Owen Duffy Owen Duffy is offline

Default HYgain 18-AVT

"Harry H" wrote in
:

Thanks Owen,
I guess it was either the Galahs or the White Cockatoos that did the
damage.

Sulphur Crested Cockatoos!

Still, I have sympathy for the ZLs where Keas eat the rubber seals out of
car windows.

I know when I used to sell UHF CB to farmers out west, we used to have
trouble with them chewing on the top of the collinear antenna.

We used to slide some white PVC down over the vertical and anything
over 3/4 to 7/8" in dia used to stop them.

Yes, I have built radomes from white PVC plumbing fittings to protect
antennas, eg MobileOne's 2m end fed which has a balun made from coax
wound around the outside of the antenna... good tucker for birs.

It annoys me that Hygain will not supply them and must get a high
enquiry rate for these shields.

I have had experience with Hy-Gain, and it was very poor... wound up
making the parts myself... http://www.vk1od.net/VB214/index.htm .

Mindful of that, I limit my exposure to products of the MFJ group.

I will see if I can find the right diameter and machine them to fit
snugly.

I am sure you will come up with a working solution, and possibly a better
one.

Owen