Old October 29th 08, 11:55 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
J. Mc Laughlin J. Mc Laughlin is offline

Default HYgain 18-AVT

Dear Owen:

Experience here in the Upper Midwest is that ground dwelling animals will
chew PVC. but not PE. Had to replace a vast amount of PVC covered cable,
but PE covered coax and cable was untouched.

What have others found? 73, Mac N8TT

--
J. McLaughlin; Michigan, USA
Home:
"Owen Duffy" wrote in message

snip

I made replacement parts from PVC plumbing fittings, not because Hustler
couldn't supply parts, but there was little point repairing with same
fodder for the birds.

The repair is described at
http://www.vk1od.net/H4BTV/hustler4btv.htm .
It might give you some ideas.

BTW, Hustler must have seen the article and sent me gratis a set of
original trap covers, they are still in the shed after twenty years...
the PVC works fine and the birds haven't attacked them (though they seem
to enjoy anything else with exposed PE or vinyl).

Owen