Old October 30th 08, 04:03 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Owen Duffy Owen Duffy is offline

Default Carolina Windom without a balun: go figure

jawod wrote in :

Thank you SO much Owen

here ya go

www.w5fc.org/files/QRP%20Expressions.pdf

There are a host of issues with the content of the article. I don't
intend to red pen the article, but the issues sound a warning about
credibility.

There is no doubt it describes a Ruthroff 4:1 balun in its "new Carolina
Windom" configuration. Such a balun will have a very low common mode
impedance.

Factors of your implementation that are / may be different include:

The DXE balun you used appears to be described as a current balun on the
DXE web site. If it is, it may work differently. (I have already
commented on the lack of clarity of the product information, perhaps they
might clarify it if you email them with a support question - "what did I
buy?".)

DXE also warn us that 'tuner' style baluns such as the one you used are
more likely to be reactive an higher frequencies... presumably a
consequence of thicker wire insulation which increases the Zo of the TL
sections which results in less ideal impedance transformation with
increasing frequency.

Owen