Old October 31st 08, 04:17 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Grumpy The Mule Grumpy The Mule is offline

Default SMPS ?

Howdy,

It's something to ponder. It appears there's not
much the individual consumer can do.

I suppose a person could direct their purchases toward
devices that don't add to the problem. Like buying
PC power supplies with PFC. Early CF bulbs were pretty
bad but they're better now, though incandescent bulbs
will likely always be better in this one regard. Some
thyristor controls are still horrible, like dimmers and
thermostats. But I didn't see how the consumer could know
this.

Being aware of the energy savings when considering the
price of a product is something the consumer can do.
If it doesn't make economic sense then Ok, don't buy it.
But consider the cost of ownership as well when making
the decision.

Working to have power factor, total harmonic distortion
and efficiency ratings required on the equipment name
plate along with volts, amperes and watts. Is something
individual consumers could do. Sometimes the industry
needs a little nudge.

Keeping equipment in good repair can help. We nearly
burned two taps off a 500KVA transformer at work. It
was installed improperly which took some time to discover
by way of insanely high THD under load. All that time
the transformer was burning up power heating the taps
and reducing efficiency of the equipment it supplied.
This applies to farms and homes as well. Might prevent
a fire as well.

From a ham perspective. Hmmm. perhaps build a PFC power
supply for that big linear amplifier! Or use a PFC battery
charger and run the shack off battery power

One last note, high PFC does not insure low THD but they
usually go hand-in-hand because of the methods employed.
A person could build a device to provide excellent PF and
crappy THD. I've never seen any product that does this
but it is possible.

I'm sorry I can't offer more or better suggestions.

73
Grumpy

(Geoffrey S. Mendelson) wrote in
:

Grumpy The Mule wrote:
This explanation could be too simple. And as always
some of it might be wrong! But does it answer your
question?

Thanks for your answer and explanation. This leads me to ask,
"Is there anything WE (the consumer) can do about it and if so, what?"

Thanks,

Geoff.