Old October 31st 08, 08:38 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Pierfrancesco Caci Pierfrancesco Caci is offline

Default Behind the times...

"Ed" == Ed Cregger writes:

Ed Perhaps someone can answer a question or two about synthetic
Ed aperture radar systems. I'm interested in whether or not the
Ed flat plate we see as the receiver antenna actually radiates

yes it does. Some old design had slotted waveguides and a common
transmitter, more modern units have separate transmitters for each
dipole, or for a row of dipoles.

Ed power, or is a separate transmitter antenna used? TIA

no, a separate antenna is not necessary, not at least for "normal" air
traffic control/air surveillance radars. Those huge OTH monsters are a
different beast of course... The separate thing you see on most radars
is the IFF antenna, recognizable because it is turned a few degrees
ahead of the main beam.

Pf, ik5pvx

--
Pierfrancesco Caci