Old November 1st 08, 03:50 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
[email protected] jimlux@earthlink.net is offline

Default Behind the times...

On Oct 31, 1:27 pm, "Ed Cregger" wrote:
Perhaps someone can answer a question or two about synthetic aperture radar
systems. I'm interested in whether or not the flat plate we see as the
receiver antenna actually radiates power, or is a separate transmitter
antenna used? TIA

Ed, NM2K

Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR) isn't usually the rotating antenna
thing. SAR would be on some sort of moving platform (a plane or
satellite, for instance, although SARs have been done on cars and
boats and balloons)

Perhaps what you're thinking about is a phased array antenna? The flat
plate thing is the antenna, and might be either totally passive (and
can work for both transmit and receive) or active, with lots of T/R
modules.