Old November 2nd 08, 02:02 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Roy Lewallen Roy Lewallen is offline

Default Coaxial Antenna question

Ed wrote:
. . .
Back to my question: I am measuring about 125 watts forward and 4-5
watts reflected at my desired frequency ( 146.000 ). While this may be
acceptable to some, I would like to get the match down to 1:1 SWR.
. . .

Actually, this is acceptable to just about everyone. And those for whom
it's not don't usually have a rational reason for it.

Here are some ways to do it:

1. Lower the impedance at resonance by making the top of the antenna
into an inverted cone shape, by using fanned out multiple conductors.
You'll have to adjust the length of the conductors and possibly the
sleeve to maintain the same resonant frequency.
2. Build and use a simple matching network, preferably placed as close
to the antenna as possible. Then you can adjust it for a perfect match.
3. Use some other form of impedance transformation such as a stub
matching network or transmission line transformer.

If you do things right, it'll work the same when you finish as it did
when you start. But you'll feel better seeing zero "reflected" power on
your meter, and the placebo effect is not to be sneezed at.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL