Old November 2nd 08, 12:15 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Larry Gauthier \(K8UT\) Larry Gauthier \(K8UT\) is offline

Default WWII Direction Finder Fix

Walt,

I had not heard of these Adcock antennas and am interested on the time of
their deployment to Europe. By chance, do you know when that happened?

My uncle was Robert LaMotte, radio operator of the ill-fated B-24 bomber
"Lady Be Good" that was lost in a bombing run over Italy in 1943 and
believed to have ditched in the Med. The ship and crew were found 16 years
later in the Libyan desert, victims of a "read from the back of the loop"
tragedy. They abandoned ship when running out of fuel, believing they were
over water but had overflown their airstrip and in fact were over the
desert. (Google "lady be good" for lots of links)

The family has always followed any news about these types of mishaps, and I
am curious to know how soon after my uncle's loss any technology might have
appeared to prevent the accident.

Thanks in advance for your response,

-larry
K8UT
"Walter Maxwell" wrote in message
I hate to be a nit-picker, but my article was in the Jan 2007 issue of QST,
not
2002. In addition, there were nine Adcocks in Hawaii, and at least 50 on
the
Mainland DURING WW2, not just me. The article is not on my web page, as
indicated below, but for those who don't have the above issue of QST, let
me
know and I'll send you a copy.

Walt, W2DU

Walter Maxwell worked for the FCC at war`s end in Hawaii and equipped
himself with an Adcock antenna so he could advise lost American aviators
of their positions in the Pacific. I think Walter has published his
story in a radio magazine.

Yep. Walter Maxwell (W2DU) emailed me a copy of his article from the
Jan 2002 issue of QST. Very interesting and well worth reading. I
don't consider it good form to resend what looks like copyrighted
material, so you'll have to either get your copy from the author or
from the ARRL archives:
http://www.w2du.com

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI

--