Old November 3rd 08, 04:02 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
JB[_3_] JB[_3_] is offline

Default Coaxial antenna question

"Ed" wrote in message
. 192.196...

You could try putting 4 ground plane elements off the SO-239
connector, I'm told they are to help with standing wave problems.
I've never used ground plane antennas, but it wouldn't take much
effort and could be worth a try. I use the MFJ 269 antenna analyzer
when building antennas and find that the unit saves lots of time.
Rollie

Yes, I have done that, and they work very well. I found three
radials sufficient, and if bent down about 45 degrees the match was
perfect. However, for the application I am planning, the antenna must

be
very portable.... ground plane radials "stick out" but the coaxial
skirted antenna has a very minimal foot print.... it can be packed in a
very tight space.... just like any pipe.

Tnx.

Ed K7AAT

A twinlead J-pole in a PVC pipe works well for this. Our club had one
on a post stabbed into the ground when we needed talk-in at the BBQ's.