Old November 3rd 08, 11:50 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Philippe Signoret Philippe Signoret is offline

Default Building a repeater

On Oct 31, 11:52*am, "JB" wrote:
There are small basic controller boards that you might find helpful for
dealing with several issues.

Other issues to consider:

Think about a full time fan trained right on the PA and power supply and
program TOT to 4 min max. in the FT.
Even then you may find your mobile getting way too hot even on the low power
settings. *Even to the point of melting solder. * The heat may not travel
fast enough from the device into the heat sink and build up when higher
power levels are selected. *This winds up heating up the board too much
Also note the transmitter is spec'd at a drifty 10ppm.

Possible RF energy from the transmitter getting into the RX audio and thus
into the TX audio.

Hams actually put more stress on a repeater than commercial users.

http://infotech.awardspace.com/

Thanks. I still haven't had a chance to see if any of these
suggestions fix the problem, but I'll let you know.

The repeater will be used sparingly only during weekends, I don't
think I should have a heat problem. Either way, I do intend on using a
fan.

Thanks!
Philippe