Old August 10th 03, 06:26 PM
Gary S.

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 09:28:41 -0400, tk wrote:

Years ago (50's) I was sitting on a 240 volt 600 amp circuit breaker
inside the Power Distribution Frame of an IBM 704 installed at the Air
Force Computing Center in the Pentagon. A civil service operator came in
early and hit the power on button...... I survived and so did the
operator....
murder is murder.... whatever the reason.

The full version of OSHA-approved (the US Occupation Safety and Health
Administration of the Department of Labor) safety lock-out/tag-out
procedure includes safety procedures such as locking out the
electrical power to a piece of equipment while it is being worked on.

There is one device applied to the breaker box that locks it off, and
then each worker places their own personal padlock to keep that device
locked, as well as a supervisor and possibly a safety engineer. The
equipment cannot be turned on until every single person is finished
and has cleared the area.

Seems obsessive, but it doesn't produce stories like on this thread.

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA