Old August 11th 03, 12:09 AM
Mike Gilmour

When I worked as an RO in the Merchant Navy I found I could light my
cigarette by holding on to the overhead copper aerial feeder while
simultaneously keying the transmitter on MW (say 480 or 512 Khz) ....only
when I couldn't find my lighter. Kinda daft in retrospect...and chuckle to
think I eventually won a safety award ;-)

"Gary S." Idontwantspam@net wrote in message
On Fri, 8 Aug 2003 16:56:28 -0700, Watson A.Name - 'Watt Sun'
wrote:

In article ,
mentioned...
On Sat, 9 Aug 2003 01:18:38 +1000, "Alex Gibson"
wrote:

I think I may have experienced rf burns some years ago. Is this when
you touch a metal object close to an rf field; it feels thermally
*hot* enough to burn you, but when the field is killed, said object
*instantly* feels normal room temperature again?

No, RF burns is when the skin is actually burnt.

The example above sounds more like inductive heating.

If an ungrounded piece of metal is near an RF energized coil, a
current is induced in it which heats it up. Somewhat similar to a
microwave oven.

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA